Did You Know…

  • Accidents kill about 14 people every hour in the U.S.  (NSC report)[1]
  • Of the approximate 128,000 people killed in the US in 2009 from accidents, about 35,900 were from motor vehicle accidents, 3,582 were from work accidents, and more than 65,000  were from accidents in the home.[2]

The Loss of a Loved One Through a Wrongful Death Can be Devastating

Such loss often results in emotional distress and financial hardship on all members of the family left behind, particularly if it is a family breadwinner who has died.  The loss of a loved one is particularly tragic when it is due to the wrongful actions of others, and could have been prevented.

If you have lost a loved one, no amount of money can make up for your loss or bring your loved one back. As Seattle wrongful death lawyers, we help surviving family members recover the compensation to which they may be entitled.  We seek to hold accountable all those responsible for the death of your loved one and to send a message that their wrongful actions will not be tolerated.

Determining Damages in a Wrongful Death Case in Washington

The amount that a spouse, parent, or child can recover in a wrongful death will depend upon a variety of factors.  In the State of Washington, damages typically include:

  • Lost Net Earnings Accumulations.  This is another way of saying the present value of future wages that would have been earned. When a breadwinner is killed, the family will normally be entitled to the present value of the wages that otherwise would have been earned by the decedent.  The value of the future wages is usually based upon factors including the decedent’s current occupation and salary level, the number of years that the decedent likely would have worked, and increases in pay that the decedent likely would have received.
  • Emotional loss.  In the State of Washington, parents, spouses, and children of the decedent usually are entitled to compensation from the person causing death.  For the loss of a child, there are some limitations on the rights of parents to recover certain types  of compensation depending upon the age of the child at the time of death and, if the child is 18 or older, whether the parents are financially dependent upon the child. 
  • Physical damage to property. Property damage includes damage to a car or truck, for instance, in the case of an automobile accident.  If insurance has already provided reimbursement for the cost of property damage, they likely will be entitled to have a lien for any amount received from a settlement or jury award for such property damage.
  • Medical expenses and costs related to treatment from the accident.
  • Reasonable funeral, burial, and/or cremation expenses.
  • Other damages.  Depending upon the facts and circumstances, other damages may also be recoverable.

Once we learn about the facts and circumstances of your case we can advise you as to whether additional damages may be compensable.

Call Us Today to Schedule a Free, No-Obligation Case Evaluation and Consultation to Learn About Your Options

We usually represent clients in wrongful death matters on a contingency fee basis, meaning that we are not compensated unless and until we obtain a recovery.

We offer a free, no-obligation consultation so that we may learn about the facts and circumstances of your case, and so that you will have the opportunity to ask us any questions that you may have concerning the legal process for seeking recovery.  At this time we can also explain how we will work tirelessly on your behalf in seeking full compensation from each and every person or entity that may have legal liability for the wrongful death of your loved one.


1  National Safety Council (NSC) 2011 Injury Facts, //www.nsc.org/Documents/Injury_Facts/Injury_Facts_2011_w.pdf, p. 9.
2 Id.

Do I Have a Case?

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Submission of this form does not establish an attorney-client privilege. No action will be taken to protect your interests until the firm has agreed to represent you.